Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Life Lessons



My concerns as a Filipino today revolve around the personal awareness of my high expectations from my country when I know from myself that I haven't lived up even to the least expectations of my country from me.
It has always been convenient for me to blame the Philippines for everything that is wrong with my life. There's always been the corrupt government officials, inutile politicians, crab mentality, brain drain etc., that could only be enlisted as the major suspects for the minimum potential of my growth as an individual. But of course all along I've always known too that I'm just using the Philippines as a scapegoat for my perception of patriotism as something so "uncool." Yes, it's easy to point the finger towards others, but I realize that this is the exact kind of mentality that makes this country a third world country since time immemorial. But at least I'm beginning to acknowledge, right? Indeed, this archipelago won't move by itself, it's its people who will move it. Just like what an American ex-president once famously quipped, "it's not what your country can do for you, it's what you can do for the country."

No comments: